Valve is removing the console in all source games!

WolfRam

Retired SPA/HA
Retired SPA/HA
Donator
30 Apr 2013
1'245
Isla de Muerta
www.ratemypoo.com
Oki, this is big news guys and the HA/SPA team asked me to inform you of this, but read the article first.

“In an announcement made today Gabe Logan Newell (54), known as Gaben, stated that in order to insure that Valve as a company would stay relevant in the future, they would have to make some drastic changes to their popular Source-Engine. The changes will mainly be the removal of the console and the feature commands users have had free access to up until now. This will heavily affect popular games such as Counter Strike GO, Counter Strike Source, Left 4 Dead 2 and Half-Life 2.

Gaben stated that the use of a console is an outdated practice and none of the most modern games use consoles anymore.
We are afraid that a console might confuse the players and they might change settings they don’t want changed and in worst chase scenarios this can lead to people getting banned from their favorite gameservers.
AAA game developers have stopped using consoles long ago, Gaben continues, and he points to games like No Man's Sky, Resident Evil 7 & Breath of the Wild and the success they have. It only makes sense for a company like Valve to take the next step and join its customers there. Valve plans to update all the games that uses the Source-Engine sometime this weekend.”
(from NewYork Times)​

We have done some digging and read what the sourcemod community have to say about this. And from what we understand this mean BIG changes:

- No more use of the console. ITS GONE!
- The use of console-commands is GONE!
- No more use of the chat to use commands, because the commands are GONE!
- The “admin-commands” will no longer work in the console or chat.

- To use the admin-commands you will have to use the !admin menu, for EVERYTHING!
- Your keybindings will no longer work, only the usual binds that you can change in the Options Menu.
- You will no longer be able to make demos or see someones STEAMID.

This is only some of the changes that will have the most impact on us. We expect the sourcemod community to figure something out, but the games are old and this might take half a year or maybe 1-2 years. As we understand this means that the burden on modders will increase and in the future we will most likely have to pay for using the mods. The expected amount is 100-150€ a month.

Please give us your thoughts and reactions to this horrible news. Maybe a solution?

Last edited:

Lifeless

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
24 Oct 2014
Well, this sucks...

So they're doing it so that people don't accidentally change settings that they didn't want changing and get banned from servers?

I'm pretty sure the default option is that the console is not activated at all, meaning you have to manually activate the console, so if someone has done that then they either know what they're doing, or they're following a tutorial to customize something or another... Either way it'll be their fault if they change a setting that they didn't want changing.. Failing that they can just re-download the game or simply back-up the config.cfg file...

This sounds like a stupid idea.

Reactions: NorthernLight

Melisa

Queen
Staff member
Special Admin
CSGO Zombie Admin
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Forum Moderator
Tech Team
Donator
23 May 2014
1'029
Sweden
give me the number and i'll get the console back ez

Reactions: NorthernLight

Lifeless

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
24 Oct 2014
Legit forgot it was April fools today.

I work in retail, I often forget the days/date.
Touche

Hail To The King Baby

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Donator
1 Aug 2015
DAnmark
www.youtube.com
well,.... not good off course.

But for me / well, I have been using Admin Menu for most stuff untill our latest talk about gag bans, and how it should be done via Console.

Anyways, I hope for community, that there will be some new options for those who cant live without Console

GAMERMANA

15 Jun 2017
Egypt
Good one guys im in june and i still believed it lol

(Maybe because i AM in june... hmmm)

Paul Bakker

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Donator
31 May 2017
I called Donald Trump. He said to me he will reconsider there opinion, and make a decreed for this that no jobs will be lost in America because of these changes :)

lol

Donator
4 Nov 2016
Milky Way
There are some Valve games that have a really good use to that console, apart from CS series.
Like the ability to remove the gun from the view, or make it transparent (in Team Fortress 2) or simply make some tests meant for map developers.
I bet it's just one of Gaben's bad jokes.