[IMPORTANT] V1 is dying, help us!

Havoc

Retired SPA/HA
Retired SPA/HA
27 Sep 2014
4'755
1'392
Denmark
Desperate times require desperate measures.

As you might have seen v1 has been losing a ton of players lately, 3 months ago we had around 50 players online at 4-5pm CET, now we're down to 10-20. This is a call for help as i won't let the server die on my watch. Now i need help with suggestions and a lot of feedback about what's wrong and what to improve, what to change and so on. I consider removing a lot of current maps and add new ones. Therefore making maps will certainly help us as of now. Please reply with any map ideas, server ideas, etc whatever might help us.

Regards Havoc.

Reactions: ///M3Power

Finny

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Donator
1 Apr 2010
Finland
I'm really not sure if this is a good idea or not, but I'll still say it out loud so people can give their thoughts about this.
What if we changed the respawning the same way as it is in v3? What I mean is simply; unlimited respawns. You die as a zombie, go back hunting as a ct, get infected, die, ct, infected, die, ct..... (you must get my point :D)
What would it generally do to the server is the question. Would it bring more interest since you can play it non-stop or will there be too many zombies who just cant be asked to even try doing their job?
I am not sure, since I wasn't really active at the time when the first respawn-changes came on.

Finny

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Donator
1 Apr 2010
Finland
And also in my opinion we need more proper playable maps. (Just like Havoc said.)
The current map list is getting old and boring. Of course there will always be these few familiar maps, because people really like them, such as 4way_tunnel and cbble.
Remove 2 of the office maps (We currently have 3, and the only decent one is officeattack) and replace them with something else.
I don't think there's much more to be removed. Only more to be added.-

Flaky

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
15 Jan 2017
This might be a bad idea but hey, what the heck... what if we make a "streamteam"? This might give the following benefits: Donation/subscriber income & more publicity for the server(s). I personally don't play this gamemode so idk how reasonable it is. Think if you ask frequent(good) players you might eventually get growth in the longterm and maybe shortterm...

Reactions: NorthernLight

Docta

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Donator
29 Dec 2017
I have an idea but i lack any experience on V1 and the game/server workings itself so i might trip myself up in my own words.

How about when a map starts, the first person to reach a certain milestone in scoreboard points, receives points on an arbitrary league/table. Maybe something like:

First to 32 points = 5 points
Second to 32 points = 3 points
Third to 32 points = 2 points
Fourth to 32 points = 1 point

By the end of the month you would have a table of the best V1 players, take the top 8 and split them into 4 groups of 1v1, have an admin set a small server up and do a simple tournament structure of elimination till one is left. Do 1v1 pistol rounds (you could change the weapons each tournament), first to X kills, wins the fight.

dr5ed9Q.png

The prizes could be games and/or money but one thing you could really take advantage of with this is having a unique skin for the champion to use until the next tournament. People are always asking about skins in V3, folk lap this stuff up and when they see someone with that they will ask about it (word of mouth is a good way to promote anything).

--Make the whole thing permanent and exclusive to V1-- create a persistent hall of fame on the forum to honour the best players the server has (maybe even some mention on the home page, linking to the hall of fame).

The advantages of this i can see are:

It's extremely non-obtrusive, no content (apart from a possible skin) or game play is being touched on the server so i don't see how anyone could complain about it. This will probably make players more aggressive (not that you aren't already) to get the points first, that just fits in-line with the servers traits anyway, just more of what is already there.

Creating a non-resettable way to honour the elite players.

You could get more creative with the maps, weapons and scenario.

Only downsides i can think of right now:

Those fights do deviate from the server and whole zombie theme but it's only 1v1, it's quarantined away from the regular servers, the population hit to the server would be tiny due to it only being 1v1 and the matches would probably only last 20 minutes or so. Getting those players to find a time to duel would be easy, due to their activity.

Just an idea and i could be missing something obvious.

Paw

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Ever tried doing a mapping contest? Maybe not do-able due to the lack of experienced map creators, but it would inspire more people to test out the mapping tools. Making a list of requirements (Maybe some sort of theme as well?) to the map with links to useful tutorials on how to use the hammer etc. would increase the number of participants. Making the contest last over a couple of months instead of a few weeks like an event would also lower the amount of unfinished projects considering mapping is very time consuming. Finished maps could be tested by the admin team and then maybe put up as a special if approved?

Reactions: NorthernLight

Tuxedo_Mask

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Donator
11 Jun 2017
Germany
I really like Docta's idea :)
The only problem: It would be the same players at this contest every time. (Blue, Wolsman, Maik, Speedy etc) No chance for new players.

I think add new maps and removing old maps would be a good start.

Or as I have already written in Discord: A V2 server to test new maps.

You can see it everywhere: PUBG most people play test server because they can "test" the new maps :rolleyes:

Docta

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Donator
29 Dec 2017
You could do the top 16 or 32, that way noobs like me and you could get paired up with some of the scary players. Just the idea of random 1v1 draws, creeping around a level trying to outwit each other could be fun, the rewards could help entice more players to try the server. By the time you got to the last two you would be watching good players going at it and if they win all the time Tux, then they are just worthy of it. You could run it for 3 weeks and use the last week of the month for duels.

Hail To The King Baby

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Donator
1 Aug 2015
DAnmark
www.youtube.com
I would say - remove point system for admins

Everytime some bhopping, admin joins gameplay gets ruined for a lot of players.

new players loose the interest when admins dont remember to "play low" instead of focusing on their own achievements ingame (pointsystem) - destroying all gaming happines for other players.

Admins, should administrate - meaning, helping new players get into the gameplay, and not focus on their points.

Admins should focus on the balance on the map - you all know how it is on CBBLE and RUSH in the evenings, when top 30 players join, and none of them concider the gameplay - I say: stand down and help making gameplay good for all and not only yourself

Reactions: WPL and rhodo

SOUR

Gameserver Admin
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Forum Moderator
Mapper
Donator
27 Oct 2010
2'196
If I told you, I'd have to kill you.
From my experience i know communication plays a big part, and since on css we cant really talk to players its mostly chat, from my side i enjoy talking to people via TS or such it makes the game alot more fun. Maybe allow VIP to talk ingame? no spam ofcourse.

Blue™

Actually green
Staff member
Gameserver Admin
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
17 Dec 2012
Yoshi City
Just gonna leave some responses and thoughts about this,

So first thing is definitely the map circle, If theres something I see people complain about it's that the same maps are being played over and over again, however this is pretty hard to fix seeing as how most of the players don't even give new maps/special maps a shot, most of the times we've tested new maps they just instantly rock the vote. I remember once we first played anzio players gave no opinion on why they didn't like it they just RTV:ed for cbble or 4way. Now people have no grudges against it since it got added in the nominationlist and hunters seem to enjoy it.

Im highly against adding infinite respawns unless it would boost the player count which seem to be needed recently. However I feel like this would make zombies try even less than now knowing they would reaspawn as CT(maybe it would be good for CT's seeig as they would get more kills?) But I remember adding respawns in the first place boosted the player count high, Maybe this should be considered as a last resort IMO.

And removing points for admins? Definitely don't think that would in anyway make players play more. I know as admins sitting in spectate and observing gameplay isabellehugh part but we all got this role cause we enjoyed playing the mode for what it is and wanted to help out even more, removing our chances to get any score would ruin alot of things for us and If it doesn't motivate players to play more it would all be done for nothing. Seeing as alot of admins reps different clan.
And if theres a way to be learning people the gameplay on v1 it should be yourself building up a team to teach people how the real zombie hunting is suppose to be played out. Obviously everyone should have their own style to play whatever they desire.

talking about building up team to hunt with, I gotta give SOUR a +1. We all in EH used to group up in teamspeak before when we had our old members still in it, we were around 8 people everyday from the clan playing for hours cause the gameplay got way better and more intense once you have teammates that back you up, give calls and shots for you. Not to mention all the random bullshittery you have just makes it way more enjoyable in my opinion.

But as for now my mind is blank and the only thing I can think of is the map circles, Maybe these fatties skins are getting a bit old aswell? probably won't happen but just an idea that people might like it a bit more if theres something new to hunt and shoot at.
Trying to think of some ideas to help out here but gotta remember that even if v3 is holding steady, the game itself is dying aswell, most of the public css servers has died and ZE is holding on a tiny string to maintain.

My sleep schedule is fucked up, So I don't really play at normal times but these couple of few days we've motivated some people to come play with us, and the server has had 30+ players, instead of 15-20 players that we had like a week ago

Reactions: Melisa

Paw

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Another idea / More brainstorming:

My guess is that there isn't anything really wrong/bad with the gamemode itself (Though new maps are always a nice addition to see), but instead the players themselves which find it more fun joining a full/close to full server rather than one which "barely" has 30 players or less as it makes the gameplay very unbalanced. Either it gets really slow (Zombies hiding, Large maps etc..) or the rounds are over "too fast" (Humans getting lucky with their spawns being able to corner up the zombies one by one or opposite with the zombies having lucky spawns giving the humans no chance no matter how fast their TMP/Shotgun can reload). That's the issues I know of on V3 atleast when the amount of players isn't optimized.

Assuming when someone is looking for a server they will usually pick a server from gametracker among top 15 (At this page: https://www.gametracker.com/search/css/ ) and V1 is ranked 57th as I'm writing this and highest past month is 25th (Since 15 is the default amount of servers/items shown per page and people will rarely go the next page unless they are looking for some specific server.).

Maybe a bit early, but consider making an event (Or wait until it's time for another event and add it as a "second prize" which is "V1 ONLY" or something like that) with a prize to the player(s) with most playtime (I know it might sound stupid giving away something based on how much you've played since it's possible to just "farm" hours by being afk/inactive/spec, but try to look on the positive side assuming I'm right:

+ Server ranking will go up, because of the increase of "players" which will then again increase the number of actual active players joining from gametracker or other sites the server is listed on (Which was the main intent of this thread.).
+ The frequent players will find it more likely to join as well seeing the server "full" making them want to play again.

Negatives:
-
The event/prizes aren't promoted enough or in good time to make enough players want to participate in the contest.
- The server might get full of specs/AFKs (Though I doubt it.) which could be a problem for the "normal" players trying to get in, but if it should get to the point of 20+ specs I think the admins should have the chance to be allowed to kick some specs assuming the server is full of course (Even though it isn't allowed unless a fellow admin is trying to join according to our knowledgebase.).

Considering I'm not that familiar with V1 I could be wrong, but I find it worth a shot though, since the amount of players on V1 could also have an effect on V3 over time.

Hail To The King Baby

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Donator
1 Aug 2015
DAnmark
www.youtube.com
well, I am pretty sure that I am on the right path here: newbs leave because they dont get a chance.

Its pretty clear on the escape maps - once we play on EH escape server, and some bhopper joins - people leaves.

The reason why Escape is dead, is that since Hannibal made Minas Tirith maps and later Pacific Rim and Harry Potter maps, a new wave flooded escape servers, where artifacts were introduced to escape maps, were only for the few fast, bhopping old players - and normal / new players got horrased in sidechat, if they by accident got one of the artifacts, because escape maps couldnt be won unless old players with a lot of map knowledge, got to the artifacts and with those, won the maps

That left all other players passive, feeling not a part of the game.

My point is, that whatever it is Escape maps or on our V1 server, people leave when old players / bhoppers dont leave a chance for the major part of players.

Pay attention to CBBLE maps.

Normally its bad balanced - ct wins most of the times, but occasionly when a Bhopper is zombie, it is possible to to balance the map enough to keep players on server.

On all other maps - having one of the top 30 bhopping players as a zombie, people start leaving.

There can be as many prices as possible - the picture is the same: when server point system is reset - a lot of people play a lot, to get to rank 1 - but people start leaving again, after 1 week, because they see how "the useual" top players - keep out rank them

So ask yourself: should you stand down and give others a chance?

In my view its pretty clear - we are here as admins not to outrank other players - we are here to keep server alive: punish offenders (if not people leave) and help server hold on to the players by NOT out rank / out play / out Bhop (yes I hate pussy bhoppers that destroy gameplay).

Reactions: rhodo

Hail To The King Baby

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Donator
1 Aug 2015
DAnmark
www.youtube.com
So you see my point?

I never Bhop - I never outplay - I ALWAY keep game in balance:

When I start up server in the mornings, I i.e. try to suggest that we only use pistols when we are fewer than 5 players - or every round will all the time have 1 zombie dying very fast.
And yes - I dont even punish in the mornings when we are few players, just to keep server alive - what do you do?

Blue™

Actually green
Staff member
Gameserver Admin
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
17 Dec 2012
Yoshi City
If you think bhop has no place in zombie hunting then you've got all this terribly wrong mate.

Theres always been ''admins'' so to speak that has outplayed and outranked alot of players, but this has never been an issue before. Maybe in a sence I can understand that alot of people that play counterstrikesource nowdays and is new to the game will get frustrated once they realize they dont know how to play. I understand all these replies are just ideas and thoughts, but we shouldn't give players that has huge experience a big disadvantage for simply being good at the game.

Bhopping has always been a thing on EH and it would only seem weird if something would ruin it, especially for admins only.

Docta

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Donator
29 Dec 2017
My guess is that there isn't anything really wrong/bad with the gamemode itself (Though new maps are always a nice addition to see), but instead the players themselves which find it more fun joining a full/close to full server rather than one which "barely" has 30 players or less as it makes the gameplay very unbalanced. Either it gets really slow (Zombies hiding, Large maps etc..) or the rounds are over "too fast" (Humans getting lucky with their spawns being able to corner up the zombies one by one or opposite with the zombies having lucky spawns giving the humans no chance no matter how fast their TMP/Shotgun can reload). That's the issues I know of on V3 atleast when the amount of players isn't optimized.

That part is spot on. I had never heard of the server or any aspect of Elite Hunterz name, i just put on the game and joined due to seeing the activity. Having decals/posters in the map would be a good way to let folk know about events (but it's probably tedious to edit each map for it), you could just edit the top 5 most played.