Right to be Forgotten

Should a player to be deleted, if he/she does not want to be here anymore?

• Yes.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No.

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

1nfomercial

Donator
24 Nov 2014
Please allow the feature for users to be deleted permanently who do not want to be part of this community anymore.
I am aware that you do not store anything personal in your database that is not controllable by the user him-/herself. But a person should decide for him-/herself, when he/she does not want to be part of something anymore.

POI: @NoMatt3r, @Nikooo777

Dataworm

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
22 Feb 2015
1'247
I am surprised that this isn't possible. I think providing a feature to delete your own account is a must-have... Of course some stuff might still be stored like your posts which might be displayed as posts from an anonymous/deleted user...

Reactions: 1nfomercial

1nfomercial

Donator
24 Nov 2014
I am surprised that this isn't possible. I think providing a feature to delete your own account is a must-have... Of course some stuff might still be stored like your posts which might be displayed as posts from an anonymous/deleted user...
I agree. Doesn't necessarily have to be a feature to do it yourself. Could be also a request that can be fulfilled by tech / head admins here.
And yes, posts don't have to deleted as it can lead to confusion with that person's participation in different threads. It still can be displayed with the person's name or as you say "anonymous/deleted user". The fine details can be negotiated.
Mainly for me it's important that it should be possible to have an account deleted here as it is already the case on many other steam-based game forums all over.

easy

Dances With Zombiez
Staff member
Special Admin
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
25 Oct 2013
1'538
1'145
Zombieland
hmm I see but... what if a player who asked for being deleted wants to participate again, bcuz he is being accused in a report or was banned from an admin or for other reasons? shall he open a new account lacking all his history before or shall he ask for reactivation? both the deactivation and reactivation makes unnecessary workflows, also users wanna know whom they are interacting with, checking contribution history of a profile etc. and multi-accounting is not wanted.

just letting my thoughts go...

this is a private non-commercial forum living from it's active and - in terms of total numbers - inactive users. It's not mine but I dont see any sense in offering an option like this, apart from trouble making in future tbh. multi accounting never is a good idea, and apart from facebook (rip) no forum/social media platform worldwide accepts it (at least afaik). It's the owner's and only the owner's choice to delete it or not. You know him, simply ask him which data u wanna have deleted, maybe ur lucky.

this forum is maintained by voluntarily work of private persons, there is no reason to produce unnecessarily more work just because of the daily mood of somebody who registered himself and now dont want to have an account anymore.

want to be forgotten? stay inactive, log out and dont log in again and dont post anything, ppl tend to forget quickly ;)

Reactions: Baltazar and Paw

1nfomercial

Donator
24 Nov 2014
tl;dr at bottom

Who are we to make decisions for others? If someone doesn’t wanna be here anymore, it should be respected. No one should be part of something, if he doesn’t wanna be. Basically, those who voted “No” are saying: “You signed up? Too bad for you. You are doomed. You are with us as long as this page is active.” That’s not right. We make our own decisions. Decisions about our data / account shouldn’t be made by others.

No system is 100% safe as we’ve been seeing it for years in the media. Hasn’t there been attemps of hacks on EH’s servers / forum? E.g., 2 years ago the zombie community Unloze was hacked and they had to re-do their entire website which took weeks. Lots of sensitive data were stolen as well. I don’t wanna spread fear. But everyone can be affected. A 100% can’t be guaranteed. So there could be lots of reasons why someone wants to be deleted. Maybe it is someones anxiety to have his information stolen off a website he hasn’t been using for years. This is only one reason out of many why someone wants to be deleted.

I don’t wanna be a smart-ass or a wanna-be judge. Since last year, if you host a community like this here within EU, you have to delete someone’s information, if he wants to aka. Right to be Forgotten. Only, to have that back in mind.

Most, if not all, bigger social media platforms allow to have an account determinated. Either it’s already built in settings or customer service can be contacted. I’ve never had a problem with that. Also I am part of other communities that have servers running on steam-offered games. Also there, users were always able to have their account deleted. It has never caused issues.

I’m not an IT expert, but multi accounts can be tracked back by IP addresses. And multi accounts can be already created, as we’ve been seeing it by trolls in shoutbox for weeks. And tbh, if I wanna have multiple accounts, I can already do so by e.g. VPN, etc.

@easy, you’ve good points. Thanks for sharing. The work that people put in here to keep this community running is surely appreciated. Kudos!
But you’ve the same stale argumentation as in my previous thread “delete old bans”: No one cares about year old bans, but we won’t delete them.
Here it’s the same with you: Just stay inactive and you’ll be forgotten anyway, but we won’t delete your account.
So why not just delete it then? Sounds stubborn to me.

@easy, you made the choice to stay anonymous on your Steam account. No personal information of yours can be seen, unless you allow it. You made that choice yourself not others. You have your reasons to remain hidden on Steam. How would you feel, if you don’t the choice? Yes, you can change your data on EH as well to stay anonymous or at least put incorrect misleading information. But I want to go a step further -> The choice to delete your own account.

tl;dr as promised:
We should be in charge of our own account as it’s been the case on most other social media communities. No one owns our data. No one owns our account. We do.
It’s a safety and a personal request that can come with many, many reasons. To avoid confusion, e.g. name in threads can stay.

Reactions: Dataworm

1nfomercial

Donator
24 Nov 2014
Oh Hey! What's up?
Screenshot 2019-04-26 20.50.51_1.png