[online] zm_floating_rock_redux

Dataworm

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
22 Feb 2015
1'247
I observed the map zm_floating_rock a little and found 2-3 problematic spots.

Spot 1:
20210720140507_1.jpg

Spot 2:
20210720140527_1.jpg

Spot 3:
20210720141015_1.jpg

In the first two spots humans usually win easily. During my observations spot 3 was also easily defended but I am not sure if changes have to be made here. So I think the first two spots should be adapted first and then we can observe if more needs to be done.

For spot 1 I suggest that we add an additional path from another angle. Maybe something like this:
20210720140430_1.jpg

Regarding the second spot the main issue is, that the height of the opening is too small. Zombies need to jump and crouch and apparently humans can easily shoot the zombies before they get in. Runboost might also not work here. Maybe there could be another opening on the back side, maybe the front opening should just be a bit higher?! Or do you have any other suggestions?

Molsted

EliteHunterz Clan Member
Mapper
13 Dec 2020
In addition i would say that there needs to be more tp-spots, because it happens quite often that zombies get stuck in the air.

I like your solution to spot 1, but if needed another solution could be to build out something that zombies can rb from, that is not in the sightline of the cts. This would also avoid giving the cts the opportunity to stack up even more, which another island might lead to.

Last edited:
Reactions: easy and Dataworm

Dataworm

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
22 Feb 2015
1'247
I almost forgot that I also got out of the map or to the deep ground of the map. Usually a teleporter should always catch me after leaving the map but apparently there is some leak. But as far as I remember it only happened when I got shot with an awp so I guess you can't get to the ground by yourself.
Anyway when someone should work on the map, he should probably check for 'teleportation holes' and fix them.

The Bear Jew

Mapper
Ex Admin
Donator
6 Jul 2019
Israel
Sup,

So, I do agree that floating rocks map might be imbalanced, so yesterday I decided to modify it a bit for fun ^^, tell me what you guys think:

Spot 1: This spot is might be the most imbalanced one, I haven't seen zombies actually able to win a round when humans camping there maybe once or twice. So what I did is added a new path as @Dataworm request.

1.png

Spot 2: Well it was too complicated to raise the height of the tunnel there or make another pathway behind, soo what I did is extending the entrance length, I think it should do the work. I think I am able to make a new pathway or raise the height, but need to know first if it will be relevant because it might take a lot of time and table smashing.
2.png

Spot 3: This spot is pretty easy for zombies, never seen zombies actually could not reach there when humans were around, it was always only a matter of time. But my idea was to make the parasols static so zombies would have 3 more extra ways to reach up?

3.png

I almost forgot that I also got out of the map or to the deep ground of the map. Usually a teleporter should always catch me after leaving the map but apparently there is some leak. But as far as I remember it only happened when I got shot with an awp so I guess you can't get to the ground by yourself.
Anyway when someone should work on the map, he should probably check for 'teleportation holes' and fix them.
Well, I doubled checked the map and didn't see any leaks or something, the whole bottom of the map is covered by "teleport triggers", might be SourceEngine something bug or an older version of the map?

In addition i would say that there needs to be more tp-spots, because it happens quite often that zombies get stuck in the air.
There were 3 default TP-spots , increasing it to 5 should do the work.

I am not sure if @easy wants to change the current version yet. but if soo, I wouldn't mind take this as a project ^^

Last edited:

Dataworm

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
22 Feb 2015
1'247
Thanks bear for your initiative. Regarding spot 1 and 3 it looks good and could probably work well. I am not sure if the modification for spot 2 will be enough, but I guess we could first test this current solution and then observe over time if we need more adaptions here. At least I think we may just observe first before you have to do a lot of work that might not be necessarry.
Would you mind to add those additional TP spots? Then if easy agrees, we could upload and try your new version. =)

Reactions: The Bear Jew

easy

Dances With Zombiez
Staff member
Special Admin
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
25 Oct 2013
1'547
1'145
Zombieland
Thanks Bear.

a) The main camp spot should be fixed different imo. the second way doesnt reach the main spot, it reaches the spot that is on front of the op spot. this means campers still dont have to defend 2 sides, only one.

Like said above: A fair spot must be reached from at least two sides. This said there are many solutions:

1. Build a bridge directly to the main spot (like Data painted it)
2. Add a ramp for rb to the main spot (like Molsted mentioned)
3. Do both.

3 is my favourite solution as there are enough campers to focus on 3 spots.

b) The roof is ok, i didnt experience any issues with it so far. Maybe if fattiez aint skilled they got problems but having 1-2 good players in team zombie this spot is easy to conquer.

c) the box camp spot: Maybe remove some boxes and replace big boxes by small boxes to fix it? OR make some tunnels from left and right side to go there (high enough to run, no small vents where players need to duck)

But we can try it soon and test how your modification work!

Dataworm

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
22 Feb 2015
1'247
Ah thanks easy, i was too fast and didn't notice that the second path only goes to this middle piece. I agree that the second path should go until the rock at the back (even though there can be another small stone in between this second path as shown in my horrible painting). ;-)
I also like easy's option 3! =)

The Bear Jew

Mapper
Ex Admin
Donator
6 Jul 2019
Israel
Aight, CHALLANGE ACCEPTED.

I'll start working on it tomorrow, I don't want to rush with it so it would not end up looking like crap - soo it might take a week or so. I'll post a beta version a couple of days from now soo you guys could test it.
^^

Dataworm

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
22 Feb 2015
1'247
No need to rush, we lived with those maps for years, we can also wait another week! :-D

The Bear Jew

Mapper
Ex Admin
Donator
6 Jul 2019
Israel
All Aight, the first concept is here : D.

This is not the last version, there are still a lot of optimizations or things to Add/Change, so don't expect it to look sexy yet ^_^

20210804202445_1.jpg
20210804202453_1.jpg
20210804202457_1.jpg
20210804202501_1.jpg
20210804202514_1.jpg
20210804202520_1.jpg

I send BSP below, tell me guys if you get unexpected bugs/crashes or something like that, just want to check that everything is ok without issues ^^

file

Attachments

• zm_floating_rock_v5_lastsave.bsp
    5.3 MB · Views: 222
Last edited:

K4marad

Gameserver Admin
Donator
15 Jan 2018
Umm...see the demo. The sky is high :))

Attachments

• floating.dem
    815.3 KB · Views: 155

SOUR

Gameserver Admin
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Forum Moderator
Mapper
Donator
27 Oct 2010
2'204
If I told you, I'd have to kill you.
Hey! Your skybox is not working correctly, probably a leak. I tried taking a look in hammer but i did not find anything.

Feel free to post the full compile log if you need help :)

The Bear Jew

Mapper
Ex Admin
Donator
6 Jul 2019
Israel
UPDATE: Found a new software to fix the skybox issues - called "pakrat" it fixed the issue 100%

Seems like it didn't add the custom sky texture as defualt. I was wondering why the BSP file size was so low(only 5 MB) now after fixing the issue the map size is 12 Mb now it makes more sense.

Attachments

• zm_floating_rock_v5_newestlastest.bsp
    12.2 MB · Views: 214
Last edited:

SOUR

Gameserver Admin
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Forum Moderator
Mapper
Donator
27 Oct 2010
2'204
If I told you, I'd have to kill you.
Some quick thoughts about the map after testing!

1. Name of the map is way to long, keep it shorted to like zm_floating_rock_edit or something like this, ive seen errors happend when map names are to long dont ask me why it happends but it does.
2. https://gyazo.com/09afd486c2c9d477ea7f8716592970f4 The floating rocks seem abit to high elevated, i would lower them so ct's dont get a "high" ground it will be easy for the ct's to defend then.
3. https://gyazo.com/d89284fb0d2c9507a606a1e59e456865 Lower the planks or use vertex points so people dont get stuck in them it's just annoying and will make people rage.
4. https://gyazo.com/101065a27d46ed96bcca2741fb14849f Texture not fitted and also i think having 3 ways into this spot ruins the whole spot and makes it useless, i would keep it 2 ways.

Just some quick notes that ive gathered! Not sure if you changed anything else :) Hope it helps!

Molsted

EliteHunterz Clan Member
Mapper
13 Dec 2020
In regards to getting stuck on the planks, a tip is to make them not solid by using func_brush and then adding a simplified path using playerclip. This is a nice way to make it smooth without compromising with the visuals :)