Ideas for possible change of point/rank system (Do give your opinions and ideas too)

Oliver

c:
Staff member
Special Admin
7 Jul 2016
1'328
Denmarkanian
So.. The current point and rank system seem to be very broken and IMO needs a fix.
I made this thread so people can give their opinons/ideas/discuss a possible change of this system in the future.
Personally, I think the best way to do this would be to have the points being based off of how much you've beaten the avg map time.
By The way I think this would work is, if you're worse than the avg map time, you won't receive any points and as soon as you pass the avg you'll start gaining points from that map.
I think it would then after that make sense to implement some sort of multiplier that gives you more points for when you move up in the top 50/top 10 on a map, since that would be a harder thing to do and would make more of an impact on the server.
Also, currently it seems that the ranks are very easy to get, since as long as you keep beating your time a lot you'll get the highest rank (surf wizurd) fairly quickly, which in my opinion just seems like a very flawed system.
I think if the new point system is implemented, the ranks should also be vastly harder to acquire (pretty sure most people would agree with me on that).
Possibly would also like for the name of the ranks to change so they make more sense..
I've encountered many people thinking God is a better rank than Surf wizurd even though it's 2 ranks below it.
Please leave your own idea below and give your opinion on mine ^^ let's see if we can get some agreement going.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lotus

Boomer
Staff member
Special Admin
Forum Moderator
Donator
9 Jan 2016
1'938
Canadia eh?
For reference:

How the points are currently calculated

Points for skill group 2-9: percentage * MaxPointsFromMaps
MaxPointsFromMaps = MapCount * 700p + Bonus count * 400

How the ranks are given
Code:
{
    "1"
    {
        "name"                "{DEFAULT}NEW"
        "percentage"        "-1.0"
        "rankColor"            "{DEFAULT}"
    }    
    "2"
    {
        "name"                "{GREY}SCRUB"
        "percentage"        "0.005"
        "rankColor"            "{GRAY}"
    }
    "3"
    {
        "name"                "{GREY}TRAINEE"
        "percentage"        "0.01"
        "rankColor"            "{GREY}"
    }    
    "4"
    {
        "name"                "{LIGHTBLUE}CASUAL"
        "percentage"        "0.018"
        "rankColor"            "{LIGHTBLUE}"
    }    
    "5"
    {
        "name"                "{BLUE}POTENTIAL"
        "percentage"        "0.03"
        "rankColor"            "{BLUE}"
    }    
    "6"
    {
        "name"                "{DARKBLUE}REGULAR"
        "percentage"        "0.05"
        "rankColor"            "{DARKBLUE}"
    }
    "7"
    {
        "name"                "{YELLOW}SKILLED"
        "percentage"        "0.08"
        "rankColor"            "{YELLOW}"
    }
    "8"
    {
        "name"                "{lightgreen}EXPERIENCED"
        "percentage"        "0.12"
        "rankColor"            "{lightgreen}"
    }
    "9"
    {
        "name"                "{LIME}EXPERT"
        "percentage"        "0.17"
        "rankColor"            "{LIME}"
    }
    "10"
    {
        "name"                "{PINK}SEMIPRO"
        "percentage"        "0.23"
        "rankColor"            "{PINK}"
    }
    "11"
    {
        "name"                "{LIGHTRED}PRO"
        "percentage"        "0.29"
        "rankColor"            "{LIGHTRED}"
    }
    "12"
    {
        "name"                "{RED}GODLIKE"
        "percentage"        "0.36"
        "rankColor"            "{RED}"
    }
    "13"
    {
        "name"                "{DARKRED}GOD"
        "percentage"        "0.41"
        "rankColor"            "{DARKRED}"
    }
    "14"
    {
        "name"                "{GREEN}VETERAN"
        "percentage"        "0.46"
        "rankColor"            "{GREEN}"
    }
    "15"
    {
        "name"                "{BLUE}SURF{PURPLE}WIZURD"
        "percentage"        "0.50"
        "rankColor"            "{PURPLE}"
    }
}

Last edited by a moderator:

Rony

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
21 Mar 2016
Also, the points for each rank is not balanced, when a player beats a map they go up 3-4 ranks depending on their time. this makes the first few ranks useless. 350p for surf wizard is too low imo unless there will be more ranks.
Im at 7000 points (jup i have no life) and would like to see some ranks or other "rewards" to compliment it.

byzoeiscool2

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
11 Sep 2016
take me out to dinner first
this thread is kinda ignored, but i still feel the ranking system is broken. the points that you get should be based how much you improved your time. and also make it harder to rank up.

Oliver

c:
Staff member
Special Admin
7 Jul 2016
1'328
Denmarkanian
I'd rather have it based off of how good your time is instead of how much you improve it by ;p

Reactions: Rony

Oliver

c:
Staff member
Special Admin
7 Jul 2016
1'328
Denmarkanian
Aye, so make the ranks harder to get in a system that awards your skill instead of your improvement from first base point

Kevisonfire

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
18 Mar 2017
Canada
rankings definitly needs improving ive beat my time on a couple maps and got ranked down from beating it. Making it based on your time is a pretty good idea some people gets mads over ranks for some reasons if you have a better rank and a worst time than them.

Wacko Jacko

29 Apr 2017
I agree on the fact that the ranks are too easy to get now. I suggest that you get your rank based on your time compared to the average map time. And maybe there should be more ranks as there are people like Rony that have 7000 points, but surfwizard is "just" 550 points at the moment. But I do understand that it is hard to realise these changes. It may require some tuning after the initial release of a new ranking system. Maybe the new ranking system could be tested on one or two servers to get opinions from some admins and frequent players to see what they think.

GAMERMANA

15 Jun 2017
Egypt
How about giving a small portion of points each time you only complete the map...(like 5points or so)

Because if somebody complets a map and he gets his best time ever possible...
He can still generate some points off it

It's so annoying to have to complete a map much faster than your last time to be able to get a new rank... especially the one's with one stage like mesa or utopia

Oliver

c:
Staff member
Special Admin
7 Jul 2016
1'328
Denmarkanian
The idea is for you to push new boundaries and make the point system work in a way that your points reflect your actual level of skill. If you make it so that points are given from simply completing the map you'll end up having an inflated point system with people that don't actually deserve the rank they have (the same way it is now). All of the SRs on the server now can still be beaten by a fair amount, so the chances of someone getting at time they "simply can never beat" is just not very likely, and even if he did end up beating the server record by such an amount, the points that he'd be awarded would reflect that in the new system that we're suggesting. You'll always be able to improve and I'd prefer the point system reflected that improvement with comparing it to others c: