How to swap player models in Counter-Strike: Source

sxmityy

18 Mar 2024
No one has made a tutorial for this yet, so I decided to make one myself.

Let's say, for example, that you wanted to replace these default models with zombie ones. Now let's get started…

First, you will need these necessary tools. Notepad++ is recommended for use. The second tool you will need is called the Crowbar, which is used for modding.
required tools.png

Go to the Counter-Strike Source files, just like in this screenshot, and open them if you have these tools installed.
1.JPG

Then you can go to the player models, just like in this screenshot, where they should be located.
2.JPG

You can create two new folders, one for the original files and one for the modified files.
3.JPG

You can use the Crowbar tool to decompile the files and then open the QC file in the decompiled files.
decompile gif.gif

Try to find "$modelname" in the QC file. It tells you the location and type of the MDL model.
4.JPG

You can change this as you can see.
5.JPG

You can compile and drag the files here. Also drag the mod files into your custom folder.
compile gif.gif

Congratulations! You did a great job with this simple tutorial. I hope you found it useful for making mods in the future.
funny zombie reload gif.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: JUNIOЯ'
I forgot to edit the post, but the laziest way is to change the location inside the MDL files. It may take time, unless you have another program to use. And some files may get messed up.