HOW TO FIX MISSING MATERIALS IN VOICE OPTIONS

JUNIOЯ'

Gameserver Admin
Forum Moderator
25 Apr 2019
France
steamcommunity.com
If it annoys you to have a "missing texture" when you open your options Counter Strike: Source, but you still haven't solved the problem, then this tutorial is for you !

Nothing complicated, I will make as explicit as possible

I will treat it in 2 points :

1 - How do you know if you have this problem ?
2 - How to fix it.

1 - The problem occurs when you click on the "Options" tab of the game Counter Strike: Source.

If you are equipped with the console you can see a message in red :

Code:
*** Encountered VTF file with an invalid minor version!
*** Encountered VTF file with an invalid full header!
Error reading texture header "materials/vgui/resource/mic_meter_dead.vtf"
*** Encountered VTF file with an invalid minor version!
*** Encountered VTF file with an invalid full header!
Error reading texture header "materials/vgui/resource/mic_meter_live.vtf"

If you are not equipped with the console, the problem can be observed when you go to the "Voice" tab in the options :

1.png
The pink and black squares indicate a missing texture, this can also happen on some maps in game.

2 - As you can see, the error message indicates 2 missing textures :

Code:
Error reading texture header "materials/vgui/resource/mic_meter_dead.vtf"
Error reading texture header "materials/vgui/resource/mic_meter_live.vtf"

To fix these errors, just go to the following folders :

C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ Steamapps \ Common \ Counter-Strike Source

Once arrived in this last file, it is necessary to create a folder "materials" (normally no file doesn't have this name here, if it is already the case click just on this one), in this folder "materials", add a folder "vgui", in this folder "vgui", add a folder "resource"

This will give you : C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Counter-Strike Source \ materials \ vgui \ resource

And in this folder you add the following VTF : mic_meter_dead.vtf and mic_meter_live.vtf *

* Click here for download link (WinRAR folder) OR available in attachment file on this message ↓

Once all these manipulations done, you willn't have any more error messages and here is the final result :

2.png

I hope I have helped some, I saw messages about this problem on another forums but no solutions have been proposed. Feedback are welcome !

I like when things are well done, having this message bored me. I found the solution, and it works !

WARNING, I'm not saying that everyone has this problem, but I think this problem appeared when Counter Strike: Source was derived in the "common" folder. I have this game since 2009, maybe the problem has been solved for new buyers.

Thanks for reading,

JUNIOЯ'

Attachments

• MIC_METER.rar
    3.1 KB · Views: 178
Last edited: