Possible solution for increasing playerbase.

PB-wipe is something Go-Free should do to increase playerbase.

• I disagree.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Flaky

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
15 Jan 2017
My good friend Oli ( Oliver ) just came up with a good idea to increase the player base on our Go-Free Surf servers. He said since Influx is still not being used in the servers* to attract the players, we need to do something else to make them come back and stay in the meanwhile.

* Which he says is used as an excuse to delay changes for months, like adding new maps etc…(because Influx was supposedly “around the corner.”)

+1. He suggested to do an overall PB-wipe, since a lot of maps are “too out grinded.” The wipe will make people get back to competing for better times again. Plus it will make grinding for unbreakable map records (mesa) doable again too.

+2. He also said most of the tops don’t play on our servers anymore. Which is really unfortunate.

+3. Another thing he mentioned: “More popular 102 tick servers did it too. A bunch of them: Nexus, green phoenix , IG & BN.”

+4. One more thing Oliver said was that it will not take that long to wipe all times.

I didn’t fully agree so I hit him with these counter arguments:

-1. With people knowing that Influx might come out soon, wouldn’t the PB-wipe make them NOT tryhard for good PB’s, since they would have to grind again after Influx would be put into service?

^1. Oliver : You're always tryharding to improve your consistency and general skill so a time wipe wouldn't affect your grind at all.

-2. So what about the people with legit high % completion and the legitimately low ranked, highpoints surfers. Even though there probably aren’t that much?

^2. Oliver : Well, since there are only a handful of people like that, it wouldn’t matter that much if they left if you compare it to the possible new coming people. Plus just like other servers didn't really give much thought to the top points players, we can't either. And as someone that provides a service we should be aiming to reach the biggest amount of people and do what we can to satisfy them.

TLDR: For not much effort, we may get an increase in surfers by wiping all pb’s.

Regards,

Oliver & Flaky

Lotus

Boomer
Staff member
Special Admin
Forum Moderator
Donator
9 Jan 2016
1'934
Canadia eh?
Firstly I don't get why oli couldn't have written this himself or had you write it on slack.

I want to touch on his words about influx. Admittedly it has taken far longer than any of us could've imagined and while I can't speak for others involved there were times where I was exceptionally lackadaisical with the project. However, from numerous lengthy conversations I had with oli I can tell you that he was very stubborn and could never understand the complexity or the difficulty with what was being done. As I said previously, influx really should've been out by now and I feel this to be partly, if not mostly, my fault, and for that I apologize, however, we can't all dedicate countless numbers of hours to working on a timer, some of us have jobs, and I believe niko said he is currently deployed in the army(?) Whether the times get reset or not I really don't give a damn but it bothers me that after all this time oli is still upset and being stubborn calling influx an "excuse". Should influx have been out by now? Probably, but is it an excuse to not do other things? No.

Reactions: Flaky

Oliver

c:
Staff member
Special Admin
7 Jul 2016
1'328
Denmarkanian
Not gonna try and start some long argument here, but, I didn't "get flaky" to write anything. The topic came up randomly and we were simply discussing it. Making a post was his idea. Secondly I'm not upset about anything :/ was just giving my perspective on it which might've come off as negative and demanding but it wasn't meant to be taken as such at all. I have talked to the guy that made influx and from what he explained to me, those small changes that need to be done (IE change the sound of sr and completion + colours of the checkpoints) do not seem like they would take that long. What I never understood is how those very few changes could take 5 months with 3 people on it. I totally get that all of you have stuff in real life to do and you can't dedicate that much time to it, but from what the author explained to me and from when I helped you out with it Lotus, it really did not seem that time consuming.

Reactions: Flaky

Oliver

c:
Staff member
Special Admin
7 Jul 2016
1'328
Denmarkanian
Calling it an excuse might've been a bit much but when you dismiss stuff like adding new maps and resetting the times by saying we have to wait for influx, it does kinda come off as an excuse at least to me

Flaky

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
15 Jan 2017
Not gonna try and start some long argument here, but, I didn't "get flaky" to write anything. The topic came up randomly and we were simply discussing it. Making a post was his idea. Secondly I'm not upset about anything :/ was just giving my perspective on it which might've come off as negative and demanding but it wasn't meant to be taken as such at all. I have talked to the guy that made influx and from what he explained to me, those small changes that need to be done (IE change the sound of sr and completion + colours of the checkpoints) do not seem like they would take that long. What I never understood is how those very few changes could take 5 months with 3 people on it. I totally get that all of you have stuff in real life to do and you can't dedicate that much time to it, but from what the author explained to me and from when I helped you out with it Lotus, it really did not seem that time consuming.
He didn't MAKE me no. But he didn't mind me making a post. I asked him and he complied. He gave his arguments, I asked if I could use them to maybe resolve his issue. That's all.

dPexx

Pec
Staff member
Head Admin
Administrator
Tech Team
Donator
25 Jan 2017
Scotland
boats n hoes

On a serious note, i think what water mentioned about keeping the nostalgia server running & having the current DB linked to that would be the best idea. A complete DB wipe would, IMO, kill the player-base even more. I like the idea of having a place to grind out our 102 tick times even more, especially if the influx servers are going to be kept at 88 tick.