Zombie hunting - Balancing maps

one

Donator
10 Jun 2018
France
Hello,

i start this post because i find some maps really unbalanced (for zombies) on Zombie Hunting v3
like for example

zm_little_italy_v3
zm_canals_classic_eh_v1
zm_16chambers

1st. Do you think this map are balanced ?
2nd Can we adjust them / i can adjust them a bit and post it before approve.
3rd. Do you think there must be some unbalanced maps ?

Just some few questions i ask myself.

Good evening

Reactions: Dataworm

Docta

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Donator
29 Dec 2017
And you left out Kapras :)

In all seriousness though, i have went over those maps in my head and how to balance, but you will come to the conclusion (after playing and seeing the players reaction to them) that people love these unbalanced maps sometimes. Maybe it's a way for them to unwind or just like racking up kills, V3 is a different beast and you need to look through it in a different lens (it's not too serious).

Stuff like this might be why it can attract a wide variety of people, almost any kind of player can get some kills. For instance, Canals might be unbalanced but you are going to get some zombies holding out in a hiding spot and inciting a hunt from the humans, when you get used to that then you start to enjoy and wait for it. Chambers also, yea wins are rare but you just pick a room and go nuts and players REALLY love chambers (is it the most voted map?).

I am not disagreeing with you mate, just that V3 demographic seems to like this now and then, especially shooting gallery maps like Kapras and Little Italy. V1 probably has more streamlined and balanced map for more serious gameplay, you should give that a shot.

Reactions: Paw

one

Donator
10 Jun 2018
France
yea, i was expecting a reply like this and i finally agree a bit after playing tonight. Map like canals is just sometimes frustrating as zombies because you can't get the middle top guys (very rarely) and if you hide it's often ending in a massacre of zombies.

I was asking myself those questions because i'm making a zombie map and i'm really trying to balance it, maybe i should not think about too much balancing..

Few times i checked v1 and i saw it was empty.. V3 is maybe more fun/casual way whereas v1 look more serious zombie gameplay (not pejorative)
Ur reply was really interesting and changed a bit my opinion, thanks you for this. Cya on v3 maybe

Reactions: Docta

Docta

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Donator
29 Dec 2017
It's cool man, good to talk about this stuff even without wanting to change it. V3 just offers more ways to play (even lazy ones) part of what makes it good and popular but i get where the frustration comes from. You just gotta take the rough with the smooth when they are polar opposites of what you like. Balancing V3 maps might stifle the lethargic autosniper role for example, and that goes against the idea of V3 being more open/accessible and allowing more ways to play. I rarely see maps wanting to be extended on V3 but the other day i saw an extension vote for Kapras crop up, so people do like these static, less aggressive roles.

V1 is geared a certain way in it's weapons and maps, it's more specific in it's intentions and raises the skill floor. It doesn't surprise me it's quieter though, if you raise that entry barrier then less people can or will want to climb over it. I reckon a small % of their players are surplus from V3 being full. This is just a necessary price to pay in the same way V3 players have to deal with maps that reinforce playstyles that don't fit their own.

Even disregarding any theory behind it for a minute, there are probably a couple of simple reasons why people click on the server, they used to play years ago and nostalgia is biting into them, or just the sheer server visibility of having a high population. You can't disregard theory though when it comes to why people stick around for so long. The server is full a lot of the time, risking change wouldn't gain much when it seems to be doing well. Until those things are in jeopardy, it might not be a good thing to try fix something that isn't broken. Well, not broken by V3 definition. :rolleyes:

Aye, see you in-game mate.

one

Donator
10 Jun 2018
France
Yea, i think you are right, it depends a lot of players online too and how many are there. I usually prefer play with 20 30 because there is less breaking rules and people seems more relax and less tryharding having fun while hunting and not tryharding they kda. Can't answer a lot im under sleeping pill flying away XD. I would like to see ur opinion on my "rates" thread, i think it's quiet important for the server.
I appreciate your way to argue, that was interesting !
Thanks a lot :)

Law_Enforcement

Donator
28 May 2018
love canals classic, specially that little room.

if there's few zombies people go and hunt down there and suddenly there's a breakout and everyone panicks, running back to their camping spot.

the CT locations are a bit OP, specially on the roof with 3-5 autosnipers and then some autosnipers in the middle location makes it hard. but the map is fun