the official spam thread

Geo

Retired SPA/HA
Retired SPA/HA
10 Dec 2011
Googling it now without finding anything that got something to do with my equation, Niko please find the website i cheated from.. You wont, the thing is that i've had a similar math problem in school so i know what to do!

Vydx

30 Oct 2011
That was a nice riddle! Also, nice explaining Geo, guess I wouldn't ever have figured that one out :)

Geo

Retired SPA/HA
Retired SPA/HA
10 Dec 2011
Hmm well it's the same math but not the same story so no i didn't find it!

ThirtyEight

Staff member
Special Admin
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
4 Apr 2010
there
Well ofc its not exactly the same, I wrote it how I remebered it :) But I'm not accusing you of googling it.

ThirtyEight

Staff member
Special Admin
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
4 Apr 2010
there
Here is another math "problem"*:

You are in a game show. The purpose of the game show is to find the big price. You have 3 boxes. The big price (keys to a brand new car) is in one of those three boxes, on the other two boxes there is coal. You have no way of knowing in which of the boxes the car keys are, but the gameshow host does. So he tells you to pick a box, and you choose box 1**. Before the host opens the box, he opens another box and shows you a piece of coal. Now he asks you: " Are you sure you want that box or do you want to switch?"

What do you do? And why?

*This "problem" is pretty well-known so you can easily google it. Please try not to.
** Doesn't really have to be box number 1, it can be any of the boxes, but you have to choose at least one.

Nikooo777

when life gives me lemons, I rtv
Staff member
Head Admin
Administrator
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
25 Mar 2010
5'642
1'354
Switzerland
elite-hunterz.com
im good in math too :D
1+1 = 2
Gotta love it hum?

actually untrue: 1+1=10

E: the possibilities are 50/50 there, i personally would keep my box because i'm stubborn but i once heard that in such case you need to chose the second box because it's the one.

Last edited:

Nikooo777

Staff member
Head Admin
Administrator
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
25 Mar 2010
5'642
1'354
Switzerland
elite-hunterz.com
unless your mistake is not a mistake and the coal is actually ON the box, then it must be right...

Attachments

• 20121220145411253.png
    20121220145411253.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 220

ThirtyEight

Staff member
Special Admin
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
4 Apr 2010
there
"You have no way of knowing in which of the boxes the car keys are, but the gameshow host does. So he tells you to pick a box, and you choose box 1**. Before the host opens the box, he opens another box and shows you a piece of coal."

The gameshow host knows where coal is, and he opens one box with the coal.

Nikooo777

Staff member
Head Admin
Administrator
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
25 Mar 2010
5'642
1'354
Switzerland
elite-hunterz.com
that's right, hence he leaves you with 2 more boxes, one with the key and one with the coal, that makes it 50%.

ThirtyEight

Staff member
Special Admin
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
4 Apr 2010
there
If you started with 2 boxes, and you picked one at random, then yes thats 50/50. But you started with 3 boxes, and then someone ruled out one of the boxes.

I thought exactly like you when I first heard of this problem.

edit; if you still think its 50/50 check out this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhlc7peGlGg

Dominik.

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
25 Aug 2012
Banned player for aimbot.

I checked out his profile. Ep1c Fa1l.

"One shot, One kill, No hack, Just skillz

ich bin nicht zu gut ihr seid zu schlecht.
Tja tja tja
SCHLECHT :D"

Dominik.

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
25 Aug 2012
Lol. Fire added me. I asked him why.
He was just online, not ingame.
He answered:

[ŠÐ] Dom1n1k.: Hey, What's up? You added me yesterday.
[ƵŦ]Ŧire: i am ingame
[ƵŦ]Ŧire ist Offline.

lol?

Vydx

30 Oct 2011
wrong thread maybe? :)

Anyway isn't that the famous Monty Hall problem? I remember I heard of the exact problem, the only difference being that there are three doors and behind one of them is a car and behind two of them is a sheep. If it is then I think it goes like this:

If you choose box 1 and behind it is the keys, then the host will open either box 2 or 3 (they both have the coal so it doesn't matter which one he opens) --> then you should stay.

If you choose box 1 and behind it is one of the coal pieces, then the host will open the only other box with the coal --> then you should switch.

If you choose box 1 and behind it is the other of the coal pieces, then the host will - similarly to the previous situtaion - open the other one with the coal hence you should switch.

So the answer to this probability problem is that there is a 2/3 chance for you to win the key if you switch after your first choice, and a 1/3 chance for you to win the key if you stay on your first choice :)

Nikooo777

Staff member
Head Admin
Administrator
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
25 Mar 2010
5'642
1'354
Switzerland
elite-hunterz.com
Lol. Fire added me. I asked him why.
He was just online, not ingame.
He answered:

[ŠÐ] Dom1n1k.: Hey, What's up? You added me yesterday.
[ƵŦ]Ŧire: i am ingame
[ƵŦ]Ŧire ist Offline.

lol?
solution is: BF3