Administrator
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
25 Mar 2010
5'642
1'354
Switzerland
elite-hunterz.com
Somebody probably a lot like you. Goes to work, hangs out with friends, enjoys riding bikes, snowboards and probably even gets into all sorts of trouble when out on the town.

Dates, possibly even married with kids. Your community owner lives their life and goes about their business. Just like you and me. But here’s where they differ – they come home and spend their precious spare time and their hard earned cash to run a server. For you. Someone they’ve never met, and probably never will.
You’ll never thank them, you’ll probably complain about power hungry admins, you might even complain that he works with companies like Pinion to help pay for these servers through advertising, because chances are you don’t quite get it. But I’m here to tell you he or she is the unsung hero of the gaming world, and by the end of this meandering description of the gaming world you’ll understand why.
You probably don’t know these people, but what you do know is this. You’ve benefited from the fruits of their labour. Time and time again. If you play FPS games online, I’d wager a dollar against fifty that at some point you’ve played in your community owner’s server. You’ve loaded up your favourite game, you’ve brought up your server browser and you’ve seen hundreds of servers run by these hard working individuals. You’ve connected and run around, shooting, bunny hopping and dying blissfully ignorant of the blood, sweat and tears (oh yes, there are tears) that your community owner has shed to bringing you, a complete stranger the enjoyable gaming experience you crave, nay demand yet is often not provided by the developer or publisher of the game.
So why are these communities so important? If they didn’t exist wouldn’t my favourite publisher simply provide the servers themselves? They have loads of money, right? Well yeah, of course they would, but they wouldn’t be as good and here’s why. When a community owner gets together with his volunteers and plans out server configurations, they aim to provide what players want. As an ex community owner, I know there’s nothing more frustrating than shelling out my hard earned for a server that isn’t used. So, to get people to enter my little fiefdom I’m going to make my server as appealing as I can - I’m going to give the people what I want. But how do I know? I ask them, I have a Facebook group, Steam group, Twitter, Forums and anything else I can get my hands on, I’m listening to you, because as uncle Sam is so accustomed to saying ‘I want you’ - to join my server .
17.png

Therein Lies The Difference

A community owner will give you what you want. A developer or publisher won’t always since, well, they don’t have to. Picture your favorite dystopian movie, I’m going with Blade Runner. Tyrell Corporation has it’s servers around the world, running the same old server configs, forcing you to play the way they want. They run these replicant servers and allow no others, taking the fun out of gaming and before long you’re not only eating the soylent green, but you’re THANKING them for it’s delicious nourishment.
18.png

"They want quick round times you want long, you want to disable sniper rifles they don’t"
You hate having Italy in your map cycle, but guess what, if you try to remove it Harrisson Ford is coming to kick your butt, and I don’t mean Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull Ford we’re talking Han freaking Solo, you don't have a choice - join us, or die.
So maybe now that you have an understanding for the role the community owner plays in this whole crazy and infinitely expanding gaming universe, you’re probably asking the obvious question ‘why would anyone do that?’. Why would someone spend their time, money and effort to provide a service that is overused and under-appreciated, only to have some troll complain that ‘my ping time is 0.002 slower than Jimmy next door’s server?’ They all have their own motivations, and I won’t attempt to answer for them. But here’s what we know at Pinion from working with them. They come from all walks of life— Hardware guys, IT professionals, laborers and even one guy who's actually in the army—and they tirelessly work on behalf of the community.
"From my experience I can tell you I ran my community because I enjoyed it, it was my hobby"
I had a great group of guys and girls who jumped on Teamspeak 2 (yes I’m old, 30 OMG) every night, gamed together, raided other servers together and generally had a good time. We provided half a dozen servers for different games, and even though companies like (the one we created) Pinion didn’t exist, meaning our servers came and went as my bank balance did, we enjoyed seeing randoms joining those servers, then kicking their asses. Although my clan is long ago disbanded I still keep up with most of them, I’ve met up with them, I’ve gotten drunk with them, I've counseled them on their problems, they've counseled me with mine, I’ve even employed one or two of them. But most importantly we provided servers, servers for everyone and anyone to play on.
19.png

It's a pretty simple question in my mind, do we want to play on dystopian servers run by an aloof entity or do we want to run on a server devoted to our own interests, run by a fellow gamer who would probably be pretty cool if you ever met them in real life. I think the answer is simple, and that's why community leaders around the world, I raise my glass AND tip my hat to you. So next time you enjoy a community server, why not take the time to stop by the Facebook page, forum or Steam group and say thank you - it will mean more than you can imagine.
We welcome your comments, likes, reposts, shares and tweets. Lets give credit where credit is due.
Good Gaming,
Daniel Ringland (aka Captain Stupendous)

Directly taken from:
http://blog.pinion.gg/articles/meet-your-local-community-owners/