Retired SPA/HA
Retired SPA/HA
Donator
30 Apr 2013
1'245
Isla de Muerta
www.ratemypoo.com
Hey mates!

First off, I'm not sure if this is needed, but i have still been thinking about it for some days now. I just wanna know what you guys think of this.

The idea is a command(like !afk) that someone can type to show to other players that their away from the keyboard(not playing atm), and when they type !afk an icon(like a keyboard or sleeping kitten) shows up above them.
like this:
6wLz7.jpg

Some may already think this is a nice thing because them self have been thinking about something like this, but the question is still, Why?

1st, I think it can be useful for admins when they have to do something(like make a ban or copy/paste a fucked up nick) in the middle of a fight(especially CT). Then its nice to type a short command that shows others that you are away atm, and cannot help defend. When this happen now, i usually turn my back or something.

2nd, It is useful for anyone that has to suddenly leave the keyboard for 2 minutes, especially if something happens or you are talking in the chat or what-ever.

3rd, maybe its easier to differ between them that just are faking, and them that really have to do something.

4th(kinda), its useful if you are talking to someone on steam and its important, and you're afk for an unknown amount of time, but still playing.

There are probably more reasons to add a feature like this, but you guys get the idea :)

Is this possible to make/code? does it exist already?

the way it has to work is that if the player triggered a function/command like "+attack" or "move_forward" by pressing W or any kind of "+jump", then the !afk would automatically turn off and the kitten dissolve. It is also important that the player could type on the keyboard in steam-window or desktop without triggering the "turn off !afk"(if the triggers is the function or commands them selves, i do not think this is an issue, though).

Aaaaanyway, what do you guys think?

and did i explain it good enough? :p

btw, moving the mouse in any direction should not be a trigger, i think. clicking the knife_your_arse_button, though..

Last edited:

Phanty

EliteHunterz Clan Member
Retired SPA/HA
29 Mar 2010
2'628
Vienna / Hannover
totally useless in every way to be honest

Phanty

EliteHunterz Clan Member
Retired SPA/HA
29 Mar 2010
2'628
Vienna / Hannover
ill answer your 4 reasons

1: go in spec
2: go in spec
3: fakers can use that command too
4: go in spec

Last edited:

WolfRam

Retired SPA/HA
Retired SPA/HA
Donator
30 Apr 2013
1'245
Isla de Muerta
www.ratemypoo.com
sure you can, but people don't go in spec. i never do either.. only for admin-reasons. and most of the time, i dont know if its just for 10 sec, or 2 minutes.

but i guess its like other functions, only some people use them, like !resetscore and !top10 (not sure if we have that one). totally useless they too, but some people use them.

edit:

all im saying, if its no trouble to make/get, dont take much recourses and causes no problems, then i may be something we could look into :)

Last edited:

Denniz.

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
6 Nov 2013
I assess that idea as no bad one, but i think everyone would run around with that symbol over the head so that the sense of that idea will left. And i think Phanty is right with that. If they need time for seconds or some minutes they shall ask for putting them into spec or just leave.

WolfRam

Retired SPA/HA
Retired SPA/HA
Donator
30 Apr 2013
1'245
Isla de Muerta
www.ratemypoo.com
@denniz
the way it has to work is that if the player triggered a function/command like "+attack" or "move_forward" by pressing W or any kind of "+jump", then the !afk would automatically turn off and the kitten dissolve.

and again, people don't go in spec, they never do. if their away for a long time and there is a map-change then they end up in spec, but usually there is only 3-5 people in spec.

Vindictive

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
10 Aug 2013
UK
@denniz

and again, people don't go in spec, they never do. if their away for a long time and there is a map-change then they end up in spec, but usually there is only 3-5 people in spec.

If people never go in spec, what makes you think they're going to type "!afk"?

WolfRam

Retired SPA/HA
Retired SPA/HA
Donator
30 Apr 2013
1'245
Isla de Muerta
www.ratemypoo.com
good question :)

thats why im not sure if its needed. but..
typing "!afk" is easy and quickly done, thats an important point. If we have some sort of amusing/interesting icon over their head(like fappfapp-text or kitten or whatever) i think people might use it.
As mentioned, it can be useful when youre in the middle of a firefight with other CT or T, and suddenly have to do something else. then its a nice way to show that you are out of the game atm, and cannot help with defending or attacking(especially for CT on boxes/crates or something). Having someone next to you to help defending and NOT having someone next to you are very different ways of playing.
And, for me as admin this would be very relevant when i have to check on stuff in HLstatsX or go to SB in windows or recording or who knows:)

In the end, im sure some people would never use it, cuz the dont give a f*ck, but others might because they wanna warn others that they are afk, because they them selfs wants to get warned.

Denniz.

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
6 Nov 2013
Well, like i said. I think the sense will left. Everyone would use is if they are afk or not because it's a new "feature" & they have to use it! :D But it could be useful when it get used for the right sense, you are right with that.

Lance

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
4 Jan 2014
Why go trough all the trouble of typing !afk. It can be easily detected if a person is afk. There are good plugins on sourcemod but i'm sure the admins here are aware of those.

12min > spec > 4min > kick

WolfRam

Retired SPA/HA
Retired SPA/HA
Donator
30 Apr 2013
1'245
Isla de Muerta
www.ratemypoo.com
i dont know much about plugin's but yeah, im sure those exist somewhere. know any good ones?
not sure if we should auto-set people to spec or kick though, they might get angry :p (could be an idea though)
a timetrigger is good though, 1 min without movement or other commands like "+jump" (that means the player jump, usually binded to the space-key), and they automatically are shown to be afk, would be nice :)
the !afk command is something i personally would find useful, then i could turn it on then i go afk, right away. 1 min later might be a bit late when people are cursing my name for not helping

Last edited:

Lance

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
4 Jan 2014
Perhaps for short moment if you want to notify you are afk. But than again, when would this be useful?
So your teammates know you can't help them? Doesn't seem helpful honestly. So i won't go trough the hassle of developing an !afk plugin.
Rather install an automatic afk checker. But I prefer to not modify anything I like how it is now. Its fun to kill some afk zombies once in a while haha

SniperZero

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
19 Sep 2013
also. kicking spectators is a nogo.. since they do help the server. beeing spec is still a player on the server

Vydx

30 Oct 2011
And being spec, and especially being AFK for hours, on a full server restricts other players from joining.

Phanty

EliteHunterz Clan Member
Retired SPA/HA
29 Mar 2010
2'628
Vienna / Hannover
or
oR
OR.. you can type "afk" to show other players that you are afk, or you go into a corner and turn around to show that you are afk. no need for this bs, wouldnt help in any way.

also afk fakers would use it to show that they are afk, and when you come near they kill you. also you as admin can go in spec when you have to do something.

Lance

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
4 Jan 2014
also. kicking spectators is a nogo.. since they do help the server. beeing spec is still a player on the server

I agree on less popular servers, but for example the main zombie hunting server is non stop 64/64 , like the guy above me said it restricts other people from enjoying the server.