zombie films

phyneex

10 Aug 2011
I'm writing the screenplay for a zombie film. What specific parts make or break your favorite/hated films? I'm working on the screenplay. It's based in a real city with real geography. I'm looking for the necessary themes and motifs of great zombie films of all nature. I'm also looking for what elements or actions make or break a zombie film. I want to make the best one yet, if you have crucial insight please let me know!

Sixau

EliteHunterz Clan Member
Ex Admin
6 Apr 2010
The feeling of being all alone in the world is what makes a zombie movie good imo.

Ambience motifs and themes is basically what makes every movie/game enjoyable.

Too much action spoils everything, that's why the new Resident Evil movies nowadays sucks for example.

And If anyone could ever capture the feeling you got when playing Resident evil 4 for example, then that would be the greatest zombie flick ever.

Xylon

Retired SPA/HA
Retired SPA/HA
20 Jan 2012
1'923
France
What I really enjoy when watching a zombie movie, it's when the humans rob a shop, this is so awesome :) everything for free, but I don't know if you can play a scene like this :(

Sixau

EliteHunterz Clan Member
Ex Admin
6 Apr 2010
That's almost as normal in a zombie movie as guns in action movies :lol:

Phanty

EliteHunterz Clan Member
Retired SPA/HA
29 Mar 2010
2'628
Vienna / Hannover
Sixau said:
Resident evil 4

1 of the fucking best games ive ever played.

Phanty

EliteHunterz Clan Member
Retired SPA/HA
29 Mar 2010
2'628
Vienna / Hannover
Barracuda said:
Phanty said:
Sixau said:
Resident evil 4

1 of the fucking best games ive ever played.

I played Resident Evil 5 and its much better :D!

i played resident evil 5 too and it sucks balls if you compare it to resi 4..

Split_Second

27 Nov 2011
This isn't exactly the right sub-forum, but whatevs...

In my opinon, a good zombie movie is not just about killing walking meatbags, and I'll elaborate:

First off, the feeling that someone/something is constantly following you, never stopping, always closing in, not necesserily quickly, but moving nonetheless. The thought that whatever you do and whereever you go, it will always come for you, you can run, but you cannot hide. Also you can kill it, but still... there are like a bgillion of them.

Secondly, I prefer the source of the outbreak to be scientific, like a virus or something. Not any of that voodoo crap.
A zombie for me is an infected human, not a rotting skeleton who arose from its grave.

I don't like the fast zombies. Zombies are supposed to be slow, stupid things. Hard to kill, but slow.
It is also mandatory that their only weakness is a good round to the head, or a well placed decapitation.

Zombie movies comes in many forms, but I prefer the ones that focus on the survival of a small human group in either a; urban, sub-urban or rural area/environment.

It is important to focus on the essentials, like food, water, transport, fuel, heat, clothing, weapons and ammo.

I often imagine myself as the only living human left on the planet, not with a zombie apocalypse going on, just me.
And what I tend to do in my daydreaming is break windows and loot stores, just go crazy with everything left behind by the human race, and a zombie apocalypse gives you just this opportunity. Just being able (as in Zombieland for example) to do whatever comes to mind, without having to think about other peoples responses, or the "authoraties" is just a dream come true. I swear, I'm looking forward to the Apocalypse (that's if I survive the initial outbreak of course).

In essence, a zombie movie is about 4 things:

The freedom to do whatever you want with whatever you please
Examples include: Looting, scavanging, blowing up stuff and playing dominoes with wrecked cars using a crane
Having the ability to bring out the best (or the worst) in both yourself and your small group of survivors
Examples include: Bonding with the other survivors, trading skills, bluring out social differances, fighting with eachother and sacrificing yourself for your group. Trauma, experiences, love, hate, etc etc...
Having the time and opportunity to create the most devious devices and structures to ensure your continued survival
Examples include: Constructing a dune buggy with heavy machineguns, making a small fortress in a building, build an armored bus, or setting up a small survivor community, tending a farm, or just fixing a radio.
And last but not least: Killing moving things that shouldn't move

Good examples, and why they are good:

1. The Walking Dead

This series is so great because it's about a group of people who prior to the outbreak had no social interaction.
They are forced to work together and bring all their skills to the table in order to survive.
They are few, and every man is important and irreplacable.
They travel in a convoy of a few cars and an RV (camping car thing).
They loot stores for what they need and move on.
Situations arise when they meet other groups of survivors and and are forced to co-exist and either share supplies or kill the others and take theirs.
HUMAN MORALE, ETHICS AND SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR IS VERY KEY FEATURES TO PICK UP ON IN A POST-APOCALYPTIC MOVIE! (check out The Book of Eli or The Road)

2. Land of the Dead

The movie is about a small walled in island community of survivors relying on the scavangers who retrieve stuff from the nearby city to survive.
They have built implements to help them in their task such as a rolling fortress of a bus, and other things.
They try to survive alongside the zombies on the mainland, defending their little island.
They have an interesting post-apocalyptic economy, resembling that of Fallout 3. A bit like feudalism acctually.

3. Zombieland

This movie is just a joy to watch, it's a parody, but it's still very relevant.
The people in the film develop feelings and bonds with one another, eventually turning into relationships.
They do whatever the hell they want, trashing shops and eating candy all day and whatnot.

Also check out:

The Zombie Survival Guide
World War Z
all the "xxx of the Dead" movies
L4D1 & 2
+++ misc

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Hammaplayz

Nikooo777

when life gives me lemons, I rtv
Staff member
Head Admin
Administrator
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
25 Mar 2010
5'639
1'339
Switzerland
elite-hunterz.com
Amazin list up here.
i just would like to say that the forst poster is unfortunately a spambot :(
i disabled his account but i wont delete this thread because of its awesommness!

Split_Second

27 Nov 2011
Aw, lol, so all my hard work was in vein?
Oh well, we can still discuss a potential zombie apoclypse though :lol:

Sixau

EliteHunterz Clan Member
Ex Admin
6 Apr 2010
Sure.

I'll kill this.

Airborne
Impossible to be immunite to it.
The chances of actually walking on the streets e.g going into a store is almost next to zero.
If it's an mutation, the mutation will surely spread with the infected, creating even stronger, faster infected. Or worse...

In short, we are all fucked.

Phanty

EliteHunterz Clan Member
Retired SPA/HA
29 Mar 2010
2'628
Vienna / Hannover
In short, don't go on the streets without an Elite Hunter.

Vydx

30 Oct 2011
nikooo777 said:
Amazin list up here.
i just would like to say that the forst poster is unfortunately a spambot :(
i disabled his account but i wont delete this thread because of its awesommness!

funny bcuz i was about to mention the OP's sig...then i saw your post lol

Sixau

EliteHunterz Clan Member
Ex Admin
6 Apr 2010
Why would a spambot make a thread about making a zombie screenplay on a zombiemod forum?

Nikooo777

when life gives me lemons, I rtv
Staff member
Head Admin
Administrator
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
25 Mar 2010
5'639
1'339
Switzerland
elite-hunterz.com
He had a nasty signature. making a thread related to zm would confuse admins. not get detected and people would click the links.