Fake Names by Admins

Should admins be allowed to change their names to stay hidden in-game?

• Yes.

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • No.

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

1nfomercial

Donator
24 Nov 2014
Again, I experienced it that admins change their names to be incognito, so no one can see that an admin is in-game. What's the point of being admin then?

Multiple times, other few players and I complaint through chat about rulebreakers and needed an admin to settle it. But instead admin changed his name, so no one could recognize him and we were left alone. I assume, so admin can play without being disrupted. Yes, I could record and make a ban request. But I was harshly told more than once and after warnings given that I'm not allowed to make a ban request if admin is in-game.
So what now? I guess free pass for rulebreakers.

I can totally relate why an admin may have the desire to remain hidden: to decompress and just let of some steam without looking activity for rulebreakers. Basically, just having without looking out for others. But don't change your name. You don't have to go literally after everyone who misbehaves. No one said you have to watch 63 players at once. Writing simple binded warnings in chat may be enough to show presence and dominance. That's enough for players to show that you are there. Having a changed name indicates that admin purposefully doesn't wanna be recognized and sends false signals to potential rulebreakers. The only reason I can understand why an admin changes his/her name when he/she goes "à la" detective to spot an incoming rulebreaker and be caught on the scene.

Don't get me wrong. This is a general affair. I'm not going specifically after certain admins as I've witnessed it more than once. And yes, I'm aware of the great work admins have been doing here. So please safe us all empty phrases such as "they do it for free in their free time" or "they do their best" or "they also wanna have fun". We all know that. It's like going after veterans in the US. You can only lose doing that.

No one forces an admin to be an admin. It's like delivery guys complaining about their wage. Don't be a delivery guy then. They are a lot of great players who want to be admin themselves and are just waiting for it. I could easily become admin and do it myself. Lots of players have endorsed me before. But most of them are perm banned. Also I'm too busy. And I already have hands-full going after rulebreakers as a regular player which you can see by the amount of ban requests I've been submitting. I'm already doing my best to drain the swamp.

POI: @ViRuS, @easy (only tagged so he can share of how much he disagrees with me), @Nikooo777 and @dPexx (who will ignore this serious matter anyway as all of my other serious topics I've been bringing up)

This thread is dedicated to @Melisa.

Last edited:

Angel DeathKing

31 May 2014
England, London
Hello,
This is my experience and knowledge on this situation that you have described.
I have known Havoc to do the same but in your case ofc it does look bad... Havoc usually does this so that he is able to watch over other admins in case they're being abusive with powers or/and sometimes just to play without having to act as an admin. Sometimes being an admin can be annoying and exhausting... In this case Admins will ask you to record when you enter the server as admins cant see everything. You can tell the admins if you know full well they're in the server.

I'll display an example... If the admin is in one room and sees a rulebreaker they're supposed to or will act on the rule breaking with the right tool on the other hand if the admin is in one room and you're in another but the rule breaker is in your room, but the admin can't see it they wont act on it unless you tell them and they wont die in the process of dealing with the complaint (which they'll keep an eye on the rule-breaker) or you record the issue.... They cant see you nor the rulebreaker in most cases

Either way the admin has to be in your position to see what is happening after all if they're not they cant act on it

If lets say Niko saw an admin slaying everyone or slaping themselves to kill humans but was under a different name he would be able to act on it but if the abusive admin saw that Niko was in the server he wouldnt be able to act on it because the abusive admin would stop...

So as a vote i have decided yes admins should be for once be allowed to play freely or look upon other admins to see if they're being abusive or not but remember they cant always see whats happening on your screen so record

Last edited:
Reactions: 1nfomercial

1nfomercial

Donator
24 Nov 2014
Thanks for sharing. I agree with you. That is basically what I meant. If there is a reason for a name change, it's legit.
But only to generally play without being recognized, then "no". Sorry, if wasn't clear enough.
Wish I could adjust the poll to "[...] stay hidden in-game only for fun". Bummer!

Reactions: Angel DeathKing

NorthernLight

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Donator
15 Dec 2015
Germany
Hallo,

Ich werde auf Deutsch schreiben da es eigentlich nur an dich gerichtet ist und du verstehst was uns Admins das bringt @1nfomercial
Viele Admins ändern ihren Namen um nicht erkannt zu werden, der Sinn dahinter ist es auch die Spieler zu kriegen, die nichts mehr machen wenn sie sehen das ein Admin dem Server beitritt.
Gewisse Spieler (Regelbrecher), dessen Namen ich hier nicht nennen werde, halten sich sowieso bedeckt auf unseren Servern auf und sind logischerweise dann auch ruhig wenn sie sehen das wir Admins dem Server beitreten.
Diese Vorgehensweise ermöglicht es uns auch andere Regelbrecher zu kriegen, die wenn kein Admin aktiv ist den Bösen Regelbrecher raushängen lassen und sonst als unschuldigster Spieler tun, oder die, die sowieso schon auf der "Schwarzen Liste" stehen.
Und hier spreche ich nur von mir persönlich; wenn ich "Geheim" auf dem Server unterwegs bin, und jemand einen Admin brauch, melde ich mich natürlich aber jeder Admin hat denke ich seine eigene "Arbeitsweise" oder muss eben mal AFK da auch Admins ein Leben haben.

Aber wie gesagt, jeder Admin macht das anders.

Ich denke das ist Verständlich genug.

Mit Freundlichen Grüßen

Law_Enforcement

Donator
28 May 2018
i see so you are on lookout to check if admins are online so u can break rules? thats why, simple.

thats self explanatory bro XD

Reactions: Lotus

ViRuS

Donator
24 Dec 2012
Again, I experienced it that admins change their names to be incognito, so no one can see that an admin is in-game. What's the point of being admin then?

Multiple times, other few players and I complaint through chat about rulebreakers and needed an admin to settle it. But instead admin changed his name, so no one could recognize him and we were left alone. I assume, so admin can play without being disrupted. Yes, I could record and make a ban request. But I was harshly told more than once and after warnings given that I'm not allowed to make a ban request if admin is in-game.
So what now? I guess free pass for rulebreakers.

I can totally relate why an admin may have the desire to remain hidden: to decompress and just let of some steam without looking activity for rulebreakers. Basically, just having without looking out for others. But don't change your name. You don't have to go literally after everyone who misbehaves. No one said you have to watch 63 players at once. Writing simple binded warnings in chat may be enough to show presence and dominance. That's enough for players to show that you are there. Having a changed name indicates that admin purposefully doesn't wanna be recognized and sends false signals to potential rulebreakers. The only reason I can understand why an admin changes his/her name when he/she goes "à la" detective to spot an incoming rulebreaker and be caught on the scene.

Don't get me wrong. This is a general affair. I'm not going specifically after certain admins as I've witnessed it more than once. And yes, I'm aware of the great work admins have been doing here. So please safe us all empty phrases such as "they do it for free in their free time" or "they do their best" or "they also wanna have fun". We all know that. It's like going after veterans in the US. You can only lose doing that.

No one forces an admin to be an admin. It's like delivery guys complaining about their wage. Don't be a delivery guy then. They are a lot of great players who want to be admin themselves and are just waiting for it. I could easily become admin and do it myself. Lots of players have endorsed me before. But most of them are perm banned. Also I'm too busy. And I already have hands-full going after rulebreakers as a regular player which you can see by the amount of ban requests I've been submitting. I'm already doing my best to drain the swamp.

POI: @ViRuS, @easy (only tagged so he can share of how much he disagrees with me), @Nikooo777 and @dPexx (who will ignore this serious matter anyway as all of my other serious topics I've been bringing up)

This thread is dedicated to @Melisa.
my own opinion about this is that admin is free to change in the name of the game or else i feel like a ridiculous idea of this but this is not for me to decide. I understand myself that the admin changes the name that some players do not recognize him when he joins the game and starts to look for violators / cheaters. recommend add some of eh admins on your friend list and private message them your matters in game helps me alot this i got almost all eh admins on my friends list i call them if i suspect some one if cheating/breaking rules often...
Regards ViRuS

Reactions: h1dden

ceddy67

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
Donator
19 Apr 2014
Germany / Minden
hi , sorry, das ich erst jetzt jetzt antworte, aber ich hatte kleinere TüV Schwierigkeiten.
Als ich neulich gespielt habe, hast Du doch relativ schnell gemerkt, wer ich bin. Wenn Du nach soviel Jahren immer noch meinst, wir Admins könnten alles sehen, oder sofort unser Spiel unterbrechen um irgendeinen Blocker zu bannen, liegst du sowas von falsch.
Ich spiele oft unter anderem Nick, Gründe dafür hat Northern schon genannt.
Einer ist auch, selber gerne mal "nur" spielen wollen ohne zig Nachrichten im Adminchat zu bekommen. Wenn ich es direkt sehe, greife ich zu 95% sofort ein. Aber die Dauer Rulebraker sind eben auch zu mehr als 90% artig, wenn sie Admins sehen.
Und das Du eine Demo im Forum posten kannst dürfte ja nicht neu sein.
Ich mache das jetzt seit fast 4 Jahren, und bin der Meinung, so wie ich es handhabe, ist es mehr als vertretbar.

ceddy67

LittleFatty

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
5 Aug 2019
NY
At the end of the day, it is a surf server, sometimes you just want to SURF.
Mute all, turn on some music, CONCENTRATE, and SURF.

I am with the opinion in most cases if people see an admin on they will not act out, so admins should keep their name.
But if you have someone breaking the rules and you start calling the admin when he is trying to break a record...... he or she is not going to be happy.

So for this reason, I would say if they want to SURF, have them change their name and surf in peace. In this case, pretend there is no admin and do what
you would do if there was no admin on. For this, you would need to have more admins so there is always an admin on to take care of the servers.

Havoc

Retired SPA/HA
Retired SPA/HA
27 Sep 2014
4'755
1'392
Denmark
@Angel DeathKing you are actually wrong, i do not change name to watch admins, if i want to watch admins i go on my second account.
I just change name because why the fuck not :p

@1nfomercial admins are supposed to do their job when they are on the servers, if they want free time they should use a second account, when an admin is present and not afk he/she should act on what happens.
Obviously as already mentioned by yourself admins are not able to watch over a full server, i believe most admins do their best, some probably enjoy gaming more than administrating which is fine, i used to be the same when i was regular admin, back in the days almost all admins were rank fighting EH members but administrating got better and better over the years, now admins do much better than before.

Also guys please respond in English to an English thread so we all understand what you are saying.

easy

Dances With Zombiez
Staff member
Special Admin
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
25 Oct 2013
1'538
1'145
Zombieland
Why was I tagged in this waste-of-time-thread?

Apart from some kind of forum activity this thread is so worthless...

Thanks to Ceddy and all admins for their work. And thanks to Havoc for replying.

Reactions: ViRuS and Melisa

1nfomercial

Donator
24 Nov 2014
this thread is so worthless...

There he is. The Anti-1nfo.

Regardless, I am very thankful for this rich participation from all of you.
The vote is still going. So far, it is close but clear.
Admins will still be allowed to change their names in-game unconditionally. The reasons are listed above.

Havoc

Retired SPA/HA
Retired SPA/HA
27 Sep 2014
4'755
1'392
Denmark
There he is. The Anti-1nfo.

Regardless, I am very thankful for this rich participation from all of you.
The vote is still going. So far, it is close but clear.
Admins will still be allowed to change their names in-game unconditionally. The reasons are listed above.

the vote doesn't mean anything, you are not in a position to make important votes that affect the admins and or the game.

I appreciate that you come up with suggestions and try to help, we take every thread serious, but this is something that we will not change as of now at least. Admins are free to play with whichever name they prefer as long as it doesn't break our rules anyhow.

Have a nice week and happy hunting!

Reactions: Lotus and rhodo

LittleFatty

Ex-Admin
Ex Admin
5 Aug 2019
NY
Edit: @Lotus
At the end of the day, it is a zombie server, sometimes you just want to be a ZOMBIE.
Mute all, turn on some music, CONCENTRATE, and EAT some humans.

Let them be.