Proposal for a new votingsystem

SpaghettiCat

15 Feb 2015
Thank you for the informative posts.

Maybe the solution is that the people who want to play unpopular/new maps should be quick to nominate them first.

But it's undemocratic that the first to nominate single-handedly 90% chance chooses the next map; because most of the time "4." wins. A fairer system would be that the order of nominated maps is randomised when it comes to the vote menu, so that it doesn't matter who was first or second to nominate.

Molsted

EliteHunterz Clan Member
Mapper
13 Dec 2020
"it's undemocratic that the first to nominate single-handedly 90% chance chooses the next map" I can´t quite find a good argument for it to be like this eigther. Can anyone give me some insight to this?

"Maybe the solution is that the people who want to play unpopular/new maps should be quick to nominate them first." People don´t and are not gonna change, but the frustation is still there. This might seem as a paradox, but in society it is a general rule, that if a system depends to much on people, it´s gonna fail. People are really good at wanting change without doing anything for it.

easy

Dances With Zombiez
Staff member
Special Admin
EliteHunterz Clan Member
Donator
25 Oct 2013
1'538
1'145
Zombieland
believe me, if you nominate a map that nobody wants to play as first nomination (slot 4) slot 5 will win. I know cuz i often nominate neko on 4 (read sentence 2 in my signature) and any other boring camping map wins ;)

JUNIOЯ'

Gameserver Admin
Forum Moderator
25 Apr 2019
France
steamcommunity.com
It's nice all these returns

You should know that removing the main function of the "nominate" [First to nominate = First Position, Second = Second ...]
would be a big disadvantage (although the idea of being "the leader" of this dictatorship would please me :)) [Just kidding, of course it is wrong !], because the server live thanks to the players, and that it seems logical to me that the players choose the maps that they like.. If we "break" the nominate, what the players keep ? The !zclass ? What a godsend !
And then I don't know if it's possible to randomize the maps selected by the nominate.

Molsted, suggestions 2 and 3 would be too much work for so little result, but I will try to detail everything

The 1, I think that the choice to be able to nominate a map that has just been played, 3 maps later, was decided a long time ago and that it has never been a problem. And I think it will stay that way..

The 2, it is better not to consider it, except the fact that it will surely have to be coded (Attention, not everyone knows how to code !), it would be a waste of time and concentration for the players (Me if I see this, I wouldn't do that) because too many players would be concentrated in their game (And I even miss the votes sometimes because I'm too focused in what I'm doing [Hunting all zombies with my usp... autosniping afks].. so a written vote will be worse..)

The 3 is useless.. those who nominate the maps are the ones who play very often.. and they already have their maps in mind. So that there is a tag [Map of the month] [Worst map of all time] [JUNIOR is the best on this map] ... it will not change absolutely nothing on the maps loved by regulars.

The 4 is not stupid, I have no idea if it exists.. but if it doesn't exist, it will also require coding I think..
I don't know what the "random" present on the server is based on, but I find that the "random" fulfills its role of randomness well ^^

Summary :
- Suggestion 1 : Can be considered, but it would take constructive advice to tip the scales, but I don't guarantee effectiveness.
- Suggestion 2 : Too complicated
- Suggestion 3 : Useless..
- Suggestion 4 : Interesting but complicated to set up I think

SpaghettiCat is right, if you want your map to be chosen, be the first to nominate, there's nothing else we can say since that's how nominate works.
If I can give some advice, there are always "tips" to be the first to nominate a map (I let it appear in my post before, you have to look for :')),
and as soon as you see that your nominated maps will always be in first place, it will change a lot of things for you ^^
Anyway, as I said, you will never see a map placed in 6 or more, being nominated as the next map (
Except big exception, like Easy say just before ^^ Camping maps >> Hunting maps)

The subject was about a new voting system,
but there is nothing to blame about the voting system, it's just that you are fed up with never seeing certain maps in a good position, which is understandable.
You are very few to "complain" about this, it's like those who complain that there is no parachute, that we cannot speak Turkish, that we cannot choose another skin than the Fatty.. (These are examples, but it's to show you "the essential" ..)
because in fact, many are absolutely not bothered by it, they want to play, to relax and that's it ! Have fun ! You know what I mean ? And I think we don't want to do worse than better..

I agree with what
Paw said, it has always worked well and the players got used to it like that, it would not be necessary to break everything, and that would hurt me a lot. I just wanted to make people understand how the voting system worked, I think I said everything, I hope I helped and that is the goal.

See you later in the game, and don't forget,
zm_Armin the best map ever !

Molsted

EliteHunterz Clan Member
Mapper
13 Dec 2020
Junior:
- "and that it seems logical to me that the players choose the maps that they like.. If we "break" the nominate, what the players keep ?" Im suggestion that the position on the list, when voting is random. This means that the players are nominating the maps that shows up on it and are voting for which one they prefer. I don´t quite see how this takes anything from the players? Doesnt it actually give more to people, because it takes power from a few people that nominate a lot, unless of cource, these are the people that you want to reward? But that would seem a bit strange to me.

- "The 3 is useless.. those who nominate the maps are the ones who play very often.. and they already have their maps in mind. So that there is a tag [Map of the month] [Worst map of all time] [JUNIOR is the best on this map] ... it will not change absolutely nothing on the maps loved by regulars." It´s true, that it is useless in getting most regulars to norminate the maps, but that is not the point. The idea becomes relevant, when it already has been nominated, then i do think that it would grab the attention of the voters. And there is unplayed maps being nominated, so if give more power to these nominations with a tag, maybe they could break the barrierer of becomming a "comfort map".

Easy: "believe me, if you nominate a map that nobody wants to play as first nomination (slot 4) slot 5 will win. I know cuz i often nominate neko on 4 (read sentence 2 in my signature) and any other boring camping map wins" Pretty much all of my nominations has been unplayed maps and do have quite a lot of gametime aswell and in my experience these maps are in a disadvange to the other slot 4 or 5 unless that is an unplayed map aswell, which doesnt happen that often. To even get to this point you also have to beat the lightning fast fingers of a regular and that is hard to do xD

Junior: "I agree with what Paw said, it has always worked well and the players got used to it like that, it would not be necessary to break everything," We don´t have to break everything to make a change! For example having a new map tag on the votinglist, would be such a subtle change, and i really do disagree that it is useless. I can´t imagine that this would be hard to implement eighter. It could be done as simple as having NEW MAP in the beginning of the name, when uploading it. I know that regulars are keeping the server alive and they like to be in comfort, but you also have to be carefull to be to still and right now there is a glaring issue with introducing new maps and all of the maps that was overlooked in the past. Solving this issue could let to more map creators being active, which would be possitive for the community and hopefully it would payoff in regars to getting new maps that would be considered to be "comfort maps" in the long run.

Last edited:

Molsted

EliteHunterz Clan Member
Mapper
13 Dec 2020
Easy, i just realized i missread your comment

Janno

Mapper
12 Nov 2020
Germany
I changed the mapchooser.sp and add a random function for nominations.
it was really easy , online 2 lines code :

random_nomination choose.JPG

i could add it in the Orginal V1/V3 Server mapchooser script